We are excited to welcome Dr. Curtis Baker and Dr. Maryanne D’Silva, our two new Naturopathic Doctors. They provide patient-centered care to help empower patients to achieve their health goals in mind, body and spirit. They have completed over 10 years of postsecondary education and licensing exams, which include four years of extensive training at the largest Naturopathic College in North America. They are qualified to provide comprehensive nutritional assessment and therapy, lifestyle counseling, botanical (herbal) medicine, Traditional Chinese medicine (including acupuncture), physical therapy, clinical diagnostic assessment, and supportive cancer care. They strive to keep rates reasonable and their affordability policy can be accessed here. They offer free 15-minute consults for anyone with further questions about how Naturopathic medicine can help you, booking available here.
What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is a primary health care system that blends modern scientific knowledge with traditional natural forms of medicine. Naturopathic medicine treats all forms of health concerns for all ages. It is the approach, philosophy, and training of naturopathic doctors that sets it apart from other forms of health care. Naturopathic medicine emphasizes disease prevention with a functional medicine philosophy to stimulate the healing power of the body and treat the underlying cause of disease. Symptoms of disease are seen as warning signals of improper functioning of the body. Naturopathic medicine involves evidence-based minimally invasive treatment methods such as clinical nutrition and lifestyle changes, botanical medicine, and traditional Chinese medicine (including acupuncture).
When does one seek Naturopathic Medical care?
- Health promotion and disease prevention strategies
- A new perspective and diagnostics on symptoms unable to be addressed by other medical practitioners.
- Complementary naturopathic treatment options for a diagnosed illness for patients looking to combine conventional therapies and naturopathic treatments with the aim of minimizing side effects to conventional treatments in the hopes of improving quality of life.
Dr. Curtis Baker, BBA, ND
Dr. Baker (ND) has a clinical focus in supportive cancer care and cancer prevention. He has completed an internship at the CCNM Integrative Cancer Center. As a member of the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians (oncANP), he keeps well-versed on human clinical research trials within the field of integrative oncology. He prioritizes evidence-informed therapies that are specific to each stage of the disease in collaboration with Oncologists and medical doctors. His goal is to help manage the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation safely and effectively, and improve quality of life for patients living with cancer. Dr. Baker (ND) aims to help bring clarity and confidence to patients - to empower them with the knowledge and tools to make informed decisions. His other areas of interest include diabetes, heart, skin and kidney health.
Dr. Maryanne D'Silva, BHSc, ND
Dr. D'Silva's (ND) goal is to provide patient-centered care to help empower patients to achieve their ideal health goals in mind, body and spirit. She is inspired by the complexities of the digestive system, hormone health, and brain health and has a clinical focus in optimizing the functions of these systems and how they interrelate. She completed a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) externship at well-renowned hospitals in China, where she was given the opportunity to gain firsthand experience from leading TCM experts. She has a passion for research and has been awarded a 2020 Abram Hoffer Lecture Series Award on her research in the field of orthomolecular medicine. She enjoys integrating research and delivering unique solutions to patients with complex chronic health conditions.
Naturopathic Supportive Cancer Care
- Chemotherapy and radiation side effect management
- Improve quality of life
- Prioritize evidence-informed therapies with the highest level safety and efficacy within naturopathic cancer care
- Empower, educate and give the tools needed to make informed decisions with confidence
- Individualize therapies specific to the patient's context
- Cancer prevention
- Support during conventional treatment
- Palliative care
- Survivorship and recurrence prevention
Dr. Baker's Background
- Completed internship at the CCNM Integrative Cancer Center
- Member of the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians (oncANP)
- Well-informed on clinical research trials and current best practices in supportive cancer care
- Experience working with many cancers, including:
- Kidney Cancer
- Endometrial Cancer
- Gastric Cancer
- Colon Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Prostate Cancer